Flight supports collegiate students in their faith journey in God. It’s here to assist collegians fix their faith in Christ, grow in Christian community, and influence the world as Jesus did.

Contact Us

Email: flight@fcbc.org
Phone: (213) 687-0814
Address: 942 Yale Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90012
College Minister: Darren Lo
Facebook Group:
Instagram: @fcbc_flight

The Flight Crew

Darren Lo, Spencer Sun, Danny Orh, Kylie Liu, Bryan Guan, Hannah Wong, and Kayley Kong

Communicate to a Flight Crew member if there are Flight-related issues or concerns you wish to express.

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Lent Devotions: Week 2


Lent is a season of preparation for Easter. It is a time to intentionally humble ourselves, repent of our sins, and turn ourselves to God. Lent should not be a time of boasting of one’s sacrifice or trying to earn God’s favor or His love. God’s love for us could not be any greater than it already is. This is a season to identify with Jesus by actively turning from our ways and pursuing the way of Christ.

This year, we encourage our FCBC family to practice Lent together by joining the 40 Days of Spiritual Breakthrough:

  1. Consider fasting (giving up something) for the duration of the 40 days. For example, lunch everyday or sweets for 40 days or television/media, etc. Fasting allows us to uncover our need for God and to instead, turn to God to supply our needs. It is a physical action with a spiritual intention.
  2. Set aside time to read, reflect, and pray with the weekly devotional.
  3. Commit to attending our weekly corporate prayer time after worship service (12:10 pm) in the Worship Center along with our weekly prayer meetings on Wednesday (7:45 pm) in the Hall of Truth.
  4. Missed previous prayer weeks? You can find them here.


TIME WITH GOD
-------------------

DAY 8
READ Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

REFLECT
A big part of experiencing personal renewal is strengthening our connection to God. What do you think God expects you to do if you want to search for Him with all your heart?

PRAY
Heavenly Father, give me the desire to put away all the things that distract my attention and focus. Help me to know how to seek You with all my heart and to want to know You more than I want anything else.

-------------------

DAY 9
READ Isaiah 55:6-7
Seek the Lord while He may be found; call to Him while He is near.  Let the wicked one abandon his way and the sinful one his thoughts. Let him return to the Lord so He may have compassion on him, and to our God for He will freely forgive.

REFLECT
How important is it to give up our sinful actions and thoughts if we really want to meet God? What is the result if we are unwilling to do this?

PRAY
Heavenly Father, forgive me when I try to do things on my own or meet my needs and desires the way I want instead of doing what You want. Thank You for being a merciful and forgiving God who hears me when I call to You.

-------------------

DAY 10
READ Matthew 11:28-30
Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take up My yoke and learn from Me, because I am lowly and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls, for My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

REFLECT
Jesus says that we can find rest for our souls when we come to Him.  Why, then, does our life sometimes feel so stressful and chaotic? Why do we feel so weary and burdened?

PRAY
Heavenly Father, I confess that I can sometimes feel burdened and overwhelmed. Help me to know how to truly come to You and exchange my burdens for Your yoke so I can find rest for my soul.

-------------------

DAY 11 
READ Philippians 4:6-7
Don’t worry about anything but in everything through prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

REFLECT
Why do you think we have to pray with thanksgiving in order to experience God’s peace?

PRAY
Heavenly Father, help me to trust You enough to be thankful when I bring my prayer requests to You knowing that You will respond. Help me to believe that You will answer my prayers.

-------------------

DAY 12
READ Luke 11:11-13
What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?

REFLECT
Why does Jesus say that God will give you the Holy Spirit in response to your prayers? What if you asked for something else?

PRAY
Heavenly Father, help me be aware of Your Holy Spirit so that I can experience Your presence, not just during these devotion times, but every moment of my life.

-------------------

DAY 13
READ Psalm 119:25
My life is down in the dust.  Give me life through Your word!

REFLECT
“Give me life” is another way of saying, “Revive me.” The psalmist says that revival comes through the Word of God. How does this verse guide you as you seek personal revival and renewal during this season?

PRAY
Heavenly Father, help me to fully believe and accept what You have revealed in Your word about revival. Strengthen my desire and commitment to make time to read Your Word and to live faithfully by Your Word so that I can truly experience revival.

-------------------

DAY 14
READ John 15:5
The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me.

REFLECT
When you look around, it seems that people who don’t know Christ and don’t believe in God can do a lot of good things. What does Jesus mean that we can do nothing without Him?

PRAY
Heavenly Father, help me to see that the things people accomplish in this world, no matter how big, are only for a moment and temporary.  Help me understand that I cannot do anything that is truly significant and will last for eternity, apart from Christ.