Flight supports collegiate students in their faith journey in God. It’s here to assist collegians fix their faith in Christ, grow in Christian community, and influence the world as Jesus did.

Contact Us

Email: flight@fcbc.org
Phone: (213) 687-0814
Address: 942 Yale Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90012
College Minister: Darren Lo
Facebook Group:
Instagram: @fcbc_flight

The Flight Crew

Darren Lo, Spencer Sun, Danny Orh, Kylie Liu, Bryan Guan, Hannah Wong, and Kayley Kong

Communicate to a Flight Crew member if there are Flight-related issues or concerns you wish to express.

Monday, February 24, 2020

Lent Devotions: Week 1


Lent is a season of preparation for Easter. It is a time to intentionally humble ourselves, repent of our sins, and turn ourselves to God. Lent should not be a time of boasting of one’s sacrifice or trying to earn God’s favor or His love. God’s love for us could not be any greater than it already is. This is a season to identify with Jesus by actively turning from our ways and pursuing the way of Christ.

This year, we encourage our FCBC family to practice Lent together by joining the 40 Days of Spiritual Breakthrough:

  1. Consider fasting (giving up something) for the duration of the 40 days. For example, lunch everyday or sweets for 40 days or television/media, etc. Fasting allows us to uncover our need for God and to instead, turn to God to supply our needs. It is a physical action with a spiritual intention.
  2. Set aside time to read, reflect, and pray with the weekly devotional.
  3. Commit to attending our weekly corporate prayer time after worship service (12:10 pm) in the Worship Center along with our weekly prayer meetings on Wednesday (7:45 pm) in the Hall of Truth.

SELF-DENIAL & SACRIFICE
-------------------

DAY 01
READ 2 Chronicles 7:14
And My people, who bear My name, humble themselves, pray and seek My face, and turn from their evil ways, then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land.

REFLECT
Fasting is a means to humble ourselves before God and express our need for Him. What is something that you can fast/give up this season to make more time and room for God?

PRAY
Lord, show me what I depend on in my life. I humble myself, seek Your face, and turn from my evil ways. Lord, hear my prayer and have mercy on me.

-------------------

DAY 02
READ Psalm 35:13b
I humbled myself with fasting, and my prayer was genuine.

REFLECT
If you look honestly at your daily activities (preparing a meal, your work/schooling, raising children, waking up in the morning, etc.),
how much of it is done without God? Is this right? How much of your life shows your dependence on God?

PRAY
Lord, I humble myself before You. Show me my lack of deep dependence on You and need for You.

-------------------

DAY 03
READ Matthew 4:1-4
He answered, “It is written: Man must not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”

REFLECT
The first thing Jesus did at the beginning of His earthly ministry was to fast and seek God. Is this the posture we take when we seek to do things for the Lord? If Jesus did this, how much more should we?

PRAY
Lord, teach me in the next 40 days that I need more than just food and water to live. I need You and Your Word.

-------------------

DAY 04
READ Matthew 6:16
“Whenever you fast, don’t be gloomy like the hypocrites. For they make their faces unattractive so that their fasting is obvious to people. Truly I tell you, they have their reward.

REFLECT
What is your intention when you fast? Are you trying to make God listen to you (“hunger strike”)?

PRAY
Search my heart, God, and know my ways. Help me to trust You more and live a life for You.

-------------------

DAY 05
READ Matthew 6:17-18
But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting isn’t obvious to others but to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

REFLECT
Hunger often puts us in a bad mood. If our Father is in secret, how are we seeking Him in our “private” lives? Do we pray and read God’s Word when no one is watching or impressed by our actions?

PRAY
Our Father, who is in secret, hear my earnest prayer and change my heart.

-------------------

DAY 06
READ Psalm 123:1-2
I lift my eyes to You, the one enthroned in heaven. Like a servant’s eyes on his master’s hand, like a servant girl’s eyes on her mistress’s hand, so our eyes are on the LORD our God until He shows us favor.

REFLECT
Commit to looking to the Lord for the next 40 days and beyond (until the Lord shows us His favor).

PRAY
Lord, I lift my eyes to You, the one enthroned in heaven. Help me to commit to You all my life. Show us Your favor, Lord.

-------------------

DAY 07
READ Psalm 125:1-2
Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion. It cannot be shaken; it remains forever. The mountains surround Jerusalem and the LORD surrounds His people, both now and forever.

REFLECT
How are you going to actively trust God more in this next 40 days? The Lord is with us, so trust Him!

PRAY
Lord, I trust You and will not be shaken by anything that comes my way. I praise You because You surround us, both now and forever.