Flight supports collegiate students in their faith journey in God. It’s here to assist collegians fix their faith in Christ, grow in Christian community, and influence the world as Jesus did.

Contact Us

Email: flight@fcbc.org
Phone: (213) 687-0814
Address: 942 Yale Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90012
College Minister: Darren Lo
Facebook Group:
Instagram: @fcbc_flight

The Flight Crew

Darren Lo, Spencer Sun, Danny Orh, Kylie Liu, Bryan Guan, Hannah Wong, and Kayley Kong

Communicate to a Flight Crew member if there are Flight-related issues or concerns you wish to express.

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Lent Devotions: Week 4


Lent is a season of preparation for Easter. It is a time to intentionally humble ourselves, repent of our sins, and turn ourselves to God. Lent should not be a time of boasting of one’s sacrifice or trying to earn God’s favor or His love. God’s love for us could not be any greater than it already is. This is a season to identify with Jesus by actively turning from our ways and pursuing the way of Christ.

This year, we encourage our FCBC family to practice Lent together by joining the 40 Days of Spiritual Breakthrough:


  1. Consider fasting (giving up something) for the duration of the 40 days. For example, lunch everyday or sweets for 40 days or television/media, etc. Fasting allows us to uncover our need for God and to instead, turn to God to supply our needs. It is a physical action with a spiritual intention.
  2. Set aside time to read, reflect, and pray with the weekly devotional.
  3. Commit to attending our weekly corporate prayer time after worship service (12:10 pm) in the Worship Center along with our weekly prayer meetings on Wednesday (7:45 pm) in the Hall of Truth.
  4. Missed previous prayer weeks? You can find them here.

ADDICTIONS
-------------------

DAY 22
READ Psalm 139:23-24
Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

REFLECT
Jesus is waiting for us to invite Him into our hearts and cleanse us. He wants to free us from our addictions and bad habits. Let’s kneel before our loving God and ask Him to reveal our hidden sins. 

PRAY
Father God, today I take that first step toward healing and wholeness. I admit that I can’t hide my sins from You. Hiding myself from You will lead me nowhere and keep me away from the healing power of Your presence.  I desperately need Your help.

-------------------

DAY 23
READ James 1:13-15 
When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” 

REFLECT
James does not say that God or Satan is the cause of our temptation. He does not say the world is the cause of our temptation but rather, he tells us that we are the cause of the temptation. What are your own evil desires that lead you to sin?

PRAY
Father God, help me to recognize my own responsibility for the choices I make. Forgive me for the times that I have excused sin instead of repenting and turning back to You. Keep me humble at the cross and focused on Jesus. Help me to make the right choices and to resist temptation.

-------------------

DAY 24
READ Psalm 86:15 
But You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.

REFLECT
Many of us grow up doubting the love of God because of what we have done. God has shown infinite mercy, grace, and patience towards us. He is faithful to forgive us. Do you choose to hide from God or run to God after you have sinned? 

PRAY 
Loving Father, there is no one like You. I praise You for Your love towards me, even as a sinner. I ask for Your forgiveness and mercy.  Help me to turn away from my wicked ways and give me strength, wisdom, and courage to do the right things.

-------------------

DAY 25
READ Philippians 4:8 
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

REFLECT
Since our sin originates in our own thoughts, Paul challenges us to think about things above. How does your mind change when you think on things that are honorable, just, pure, lovely, admirable, and worthy of praise?

PRAY 
Jesus, You are the truest and noblest, most right, pure, lovely and praiseworthy reality I can imagine. May I set my eyes on You alone.

-------------------

DAY 26
READ Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor. If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.  But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.

REFLECT 
Do not try to battle a bad habit or addiction alone. Develop relationships with more mature Christians who will encourage and support you through prayer. Do you have someone you can trust to share your failures and shame?

PRAY 
Lord, help me to overcome my pride or shame when I am hurt or discouraged. Help me to ask a fellow brother or sister to pray with me. Please send someone who can walk with me in this recovery journey.

-------------------

DAY 27
READ Ephesians 4:22-24
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

REFLECT
Biblical change is not just turning away from sin; it is turning toward righteousness. What does the “new self” look like? How can you put off your old self and put on the new self?

PRAY
Jesus, help me to become more like You each day. I pray You will continually transform me and shape me to reflect You. Help me put to death the fleshly desires. Produce in me the fruit of the Spirit.

-------------------

DAY 28
READ Philippians 3:13-14 
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

REFLECT
We should not want to change a habit just because it makes us feel less guilty but rather, we should want God’s greater purpose for our lives. What are the sins that stop you from living out the greater purpose God has prepared for you? 

PRAY
Father God, purify my heart that my one focus may be on You. Show me and guide me to Your greater purpose so I win the prize You have prepared for me!