Flight supports collegiate students in their faith journey in God. It’s here to assist collegians fix their faith in Christ, grow in Christian community, and influence the world as Jesus did.

Contact Us

Email: flight@fcbc.org
Phone: (213) 687-0814
Address: 942 Yale Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90012
College Minister: Darren Lo
Facebook Group:
Instagram: @fcbc_flight

The Flight Crew

Darren Lo, Spencer Sun, Danny Orh, Kylie Liu, Bryan Guan, Hannah Wong, and Kayley Kong

Communicate to a Flight Crew member if there are Flight-related issues or concerns you wish to express.

Monday, March 9, 2020

Lent Devotions: Week 3


Lent is a season of preparation for Easter. It is a time to intentionally humble ourselves, repent of our sins, and turn ourselves to God. Lent should not be a time of boasting of one’s sacrifice or trying to earn God’s favor or His love. God’s love for us could not be any greater than it already is. This is a season to identify with Jesus by actively turning from our ways and pursuing the way of Christ.

This year, we encourage our FCBC family to practice Lent together by joining the 40 Days of Spiritual Breakthrough:

  1. Consider fasting (giving up something) for the duration of the 40 days. For example, lunch everyday or sweets for 40 days or television/media, etc. Fasting allows us to uncover our need for God and to instead, turn to God to supply our needs. It is a physical action with a spiritual intention.
  2. Set aside time to read, reflect, and pray with the weekly devotional.
  3. Commit to attending our weekly corporate prayer time after worship service (12:10 pm) in the Worship Center along with our weekly prayer meetings on Wednesday (7:45 pm) in the Hall of Truth.
  4. Missed previous prayer weeks? You can find them here.

COMMITMENT
-------------------

DAY 15
READ John 1:1-3, 14a
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were created through him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created. 

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

REFLECT
God is the eternal and everlasting Creator who has entered into our lives. Eternity is now our reality. The Creator is now revealed to creation and He is the one who has created us. Why did God create all things and even dwelled among us? What kind of relationship does this Creator want with us?

PRAY
Lord, please have mercy and forgive my ignorance. In this vast universe, I am a part of Your creation. I long to be embraced by You and to enjoy the beauty You create in me. I surrender control of my life, because my life belongs to You alone. Please receive my humble prayer.
-------------------

DAY 16
READ 1 Corinthians 6:19a
Don't you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God? 

REFLECT
Have you ever considered that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit? How does this make you feel? God wants to rebuild this temple for the Holy Spirit to dwell in. How do you respond to this?

PRAY
Lord, my heart is filled with sin and desires that do not please You, and are not worthy of You! Please cleanse and restore me. The depth of my soul has become corrupted and defiled. Listen to my sincere confession and cleanse my heart, O God.

-------------------

DAY 17
READ 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20
You are not your own, for you were bought at a price. So glorify God with your body.

REFLECT
Paul continues in the verse: “You are not your own, for you were bought at a price.” This clearly tells us who is the owner of our lives. Paul says that we are bought with a great price. How great is this price? What adjustments do we need to make in our lives to glorify God?

PRAY
Lord, my God, You are worthy because You have sent Your one and only Son to redeem my life. You have taught me what love is and how to love others.

-------------------

DAY 18
READ Luke 9:23
Then he said to them all, "If anyone wants to follow after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me.

REFLECT
Jesus tells us 3 things in this passage:
Deny self: This is a one time commitment that pushes us off the throne of our lives. We take God’s preferences and principles as our own and agree with God’s way in our lives. What changes do you need to make to live a life of “denying self”?
Take up His cross daily: We must bear the burden of sacrifice. It is a constant awareness of God’s work in those around us. Why do you think we are called to meet the needs of others “daily”?
Follow me: We must obey Christ fully in thought, word, and deed. How should we overcome our own desires with Christ’s desires?

PRAY
Lord, help me to give up a life of pursuing comfort and enjoyment and learn to follow You with grace. Through perseverance and faith, may I share in Your sufferings and be a true disciple.

-------------------

DAY 19
READ Matthew 6:10-11
Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 

REFLECT
Is the Lord’s Prayer something you pray out of routine or a reminder to correct your relationship with God? This verse shows us that the kingdom of God is God’s will being carried out on earth as it is in heaven. To live in light of this, have you ever considered asking for complete surrender of your will?

PRAY
May Your kingdom come into my heart. I am willing to put away all obstacles. I belong to You. May Your kingdom overwhelm my heart. Please work in my life to renew and restore me, so that I may walk daily in Your will.

-------------------

DAY 20
READ  John 4:34
"My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work," Jesus told them.

REFLECT
Jesus said that His food was to do the will of God. Food can bring great joy and pleasure, but Jesus chose doing God’s will as His ultimate joy and pleasure. Consider the role of food in your life. How important is it to you? How about doing God’s will?

PRAY
Lord Jesus, may my heart beat like Yours to understand the Father’s heart. Remind me that worldly things are empty. Help me to put down my life, health, and comfort, and to obey Your will. May Your joy be my satisfaction.

-------------------

DAY 21
READ Acts 17:28-29

For in him we live and move and have our being, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we are also his offspring.' Since we are God's offspring then, we shouldn't think that the divine nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image fashioned by human art and imagination.

REFLECT
Is your faith about religious activities or is it about a relationship with the Savior? Is your faith only about outward expressions and traditions? If we believe in God who created us, we should live in dependence and trust in Him. Who else is there besides Him? May our wills align with His and may everything be unto Him. Only then, is He the Master of our lives.

PRAY
Lord our God, thank You for allowing me to know that all of life is because of You. As I do my best to obey You, please remove all my doubts and unbelief. Help me to entrust everything to You and know that Your love for me is greater than my love will ever be for You.